Sunday, January 15, 2012

Why I won't be going paleo


I've heard a lot about the paleo diet. Then, I saw on Facebook (thanks Kellie Rykbos) that there was such a thing as paleo brownies. She was having them with meatloaf, and I too was planning to make meatloaf that night. Now here it is Sunday morning, the meatloaf is two-thirds gone, and I finally have made some time to Google paleo brownies and see what the fuss is all about.

I have learned that paleo diet enthusiasts aren't eating anything that wasn't available to our Paleolithic ancestors. That means no sugar, no flour, no (regular) butter and no processed foods. Sounds great, but...

To make brownies you pretty much have to have flour and butter or at least oil. So while what we normally think of as flour, including the whole wheat variety, is off limits, almond flour is not. Nor is coconut flour. While regular salad oil and any kind of olive oil are off limits, coconut oil is not. Butter and margarine are apparently both off limits. Not sure if peanut butter also is, but almond butter is not.

Well, I'm not going to run out and buy any of those fancy products just to make brownies! So I Googled healthy brownies. I found a plethora of recipes that call for nothing more exotic than egg whites. And I like this one. It calls for whole wheat flour (I do prefer using this when possible because of the texture and because of Don's need for a high fiber diet). And it calls for one EGG. I have every thing this recipe calls for, right here.


One of the other recipes I found uses just Brownie mix, black beans and water. I've never though of putting black beans in brownies, but I think fruit, vegetables and legumes of all kinds are good substitutes for eggs and oil, which I think this recipe omits from the standard Brownie mix recipe. So it's probably good too, only I don't have black beans or Brownie mix, and I do think from scratch is usually better.

But here it is, with a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment