Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Healthy Lemon Bars

High fiber, no refined sugar or flour, and low cholesterol used to be key elements of a healthy diet. I still believe that to be the case, so that's why I like a recipe for Lemon Bars I adapted from one of my late 20th century health-conscious cookbooks. I made them and shared them with the Sandals' Women's Bible Study, and they were loved!

LEMON BARS
Crust:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup margarine or butter
1 egg
1/4 cup crushed Wheaties
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
Mix together these ingredients and press into greased 8x8 pan.

Topping:
3 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/ cup margarine or butter
1 teaspoon lemon peel

I actually had to use both margarine and butter in mine, because of a shortage of ingredients on hand. Next time, I will probably just use margarine as the original recipe called for. Another change to consider, for the sake of lower cholesterol, is to substitute two egg whites in the crust and four egg whites in the topping.

I love how the topping tasted with brown sugar, but because of it, these lemon bars don't have the intense yellow color you normally would associate with them. If you really want the yellow color, it can be had by substituting white sugar in the topping. There's no good reason I can think of to do this with the crust.




No comments:

Post a Comment