Sunday, January 17, 2010

What do you do if you want odd-sized photos?




In creating both of these layouts, I needed to depart from the traditional 4 x 6 format that I could have obtained had I used Shutterfly. What I did was print them at home. It's easy and there is no waiting!
On the first layout, I needed all of the photos to be 5 inches across. Four inches might have worked, but Shutterfly would then require me to print all of them at 3 x 4. It can be done if you put two photos into one print, and then order that as a 4 x 6 print, a process I'm sure from reading this is as clear as mud. It would not have worked on this layout anyhow, as the photos vary in height.
Furthermore, the photos on the second layout are of no conventional size whatsoever. I don't even remember what size they are! However, that large photo is something around 8" wide, a bit pricey if you use an online photo printing service!
Lastly, I have another problem. Grown stepchildren. Ah, that's a nice problem to have, but Josh took that photo on the first layout that I'm in, and Holly took both of the photos in the snow layout. I took these photos off their Facebook walls by opening them and saving them. While the kids don't mind, I don't think I can take the photos off Facebook and send them to Shutterfly. The home printer is the perfect solution!
There are many different programs you can use to edit photos on the computer. I am using Microsoft Picture It! On this program, you open the photo you wish to use by going to "File," then "Open". If you just want to print the one picture, you can print from Microsoft Picture It! Go to File again, and this time to print. This time you will want to see "Select A Print Size." Click on the arrow by "Fit to Printable Area" and change it to "Custom." Then enter the width or height you wish. Only change one. The other one will change automatically, keeping the same scale. If you change both dimensions, you run the risk of distorting the photo.
If you wish to print more than one photo, Microsoft Picture It! has some templates you can use. Click on "print multiple pictures" to see the choices available. You don't have to fill up every spot in the template you use, and it is possible to resize the photos by dragging at the corners once they are in the tenplate. However, it's a bit tricky in this program. I once did so and it took me hours because of the bugs in this system! I was told Photoshop is a much better program for this function. But, with me being the only one working right now, Photoshop is not affordable for us and I make do.
One other option for printing photos any size you want is to size them one at a time in Microsoft Picture It! and then import them into Microsoft Word. Go to "insert," then picture, and then to wherever you saved the picture. You can resize a photo in Microsoft Word much the same way you can a text box. Click on the picture, then "Format picture," then "size and enter one of the sizes, height or width that you want. Again, Microsoft will adjust the other side accordingly, and if you try to specify both, you could distort the photo.
You should use specially designed photo paper, which is available in many stores and soon, on the upcoming website that will be linked to this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Really like your snow fun page did you draw the circles like that or is that pattern paper? Great layout!

    ReplyDelete