Saturday, December 1, 2018

Making another go at this

I have probably three or four blogs, maybe five if you count the one I did for a little while on GoodReads.com for the first in the series of books I'm writing. All of my blogs are hit and miss. I do them for awhile and then when I lose interest in that topic, I stop. I think my other blog on blogger I even was completely writing on a different topic than what I started.

But food has always been a passion of mine. And so is writing. So, I am promising to make another good effort on this blog, which I dedicated to food when I started it more than three years ago. I am still passionate about telling you how to find good, healthy and inexpensive food.

A few things have changed. I used to be a super strong advocate for the local pick-your-own produce farm, which unfortunately has gone out of business. So now I will have to advocate that if you want fresh organic vegetables you go to a Farmer's Market. I'm a big fan of the Patch Farmers' Market, which sets up shop at the Don Schroeder Medical Clinic in Rubidoux on Mondays, the Vernola Marketplace Shopping Center on the other side of Jurupa Valley on Saturdays and somewhere in Riverside (County Circle Drive?) on Thursdays. However, I find it difficult to get to all three of them, so I'm not a frequent shopper there. So, I tend to get most of my vegetables at grocery stores. I may on occasion get them at 99 Cents Only Store, which at least at the stores on Limonite in Jurupa Valley and Van Buren in Riverside, has perfectly acceptable produce on a regular basis. Dollar Tree, which otherwise would be my favorite (and closest) dollar store is not as good for food.

The other thing is that my recipes in the past were heavy on pasta. I was of the mistaken impression at that time that a vegetable lasagna, for instance, was perfectly healthy if you made it with whole wheat pasta and went heavy on the vegetables. Well, now I'm trying to worry more about carbs and cholesterol, so I'll be keeping that in mind as I write new recipes.  With that in mind, I will tell you that last night's leftover lasagna with both hamburger and salami, as well as some spinach and tomatoes is what's for dinner tonight. And that my next blog post will be about Christmas cookies, so not too cheap or healthy - but at least fresh.

But I hope to keep this going, so let's see!

No comments:

Post a Comment