Saturday, July 26, 2014

Pasta Primavera



As I probably have mentioned before, I'm a cookbook collector. As I may not have mentioned before, these days one place I shop for food is on a real farm. It's called Unity Farm, and it is an organic farm right here in Jurupa Valley, on the grounds of the Rancho Jurupa Park on Crestmore Road/46th Street. For me, that's only a little farther than right around the corner (I literally could drive to it without even going up to Limonite, although it's slightly shorter if I do take Limonite). For anyone living in Jurupa Valley or Riverside, it's worth the drive.

So, since I have referred a number of Riverside friends to Unity Farm, it's now become apparent that I need to share my ideas for what to do with those yummy vegetables. So here's how I used some of the ones in my last box. That box contained, among other things, squash, carrots, peppers and tomatillos.

So, really simple idea, although it's based somewhat on a cookbook. My recipes are for two people, but you can adapt for more.

Pasta Primavera
Chop up one of your squash, two of your carrots, at least one of your peppers and about seven or eight of your tomatillos from Unity Farm. Add about half of an onion you bought at the grocery store, unless you still happen to have one from Unity Farm (I haven't had one from there the last few boxes.)

Stir fry these in a little bit of oil. Meanwhile, cook half a package of pasta to the dente you like. (You could substitute spaghetti squash or maybe brown rice if you have vegan or gluten issues) Add the pasta to the stir fried vegetables and mix well. 

My cookbook, which was published in 1989, suggested adding Parmesan cheese to this mix. We like Parmesan cheese so we sprinkled it generously over ours, and we are glad we did.


No comments:

Post a Comment