Sunday, May 12, 2013

Two today!

I'm going to link here a recipe 24 Carrots posted in its own blog for Chilled Fava Bean Soup.

It's not the kind of food you would normally see on this blog, even if I maintained it. While 24 Carrots makes fresh and good food, you've got to be blessed like me to get it cheap. My first exposure to this company was that for awhile, it was donating catered food to the attendees of Sandals Church's Tuesday program. It quit doing that, and I quit going to the Tuesday program, so I miss it. But I've already had one opportunity to have it again, and I hope I have more.

You can't even really make fava bean soup cheap. Fresh Good and Cheap relies on a military commissary for most of its food. The rest of it is purchased locally at Fresh and Easy or the Rubidoux (old town) Stater Brothers. Neither one f thoe stores have a lot of fancy food, although I might find fava beans at Fresh and Easy if I looked hard.

If not, the fava beans aren't likely going to be included. My other local options are some Latino markets. That's it. I'm, for the most part, boycotting all stores in the City of Riverside, so that means I don't shop at my nearest Trader Joes, nor my nearest Sprouts. The next nearest of these, and the absolute nearest Whole Foods stores are kind of far, like Orange County, or maybe, Rancho Cucamonga. Getting there is doable, but not when you have to share a car with your husband, who is not at all into fancy food. And  not when you can barely afford what you do eat.

But if you can find and can afford fava beans, please feel free to enjoy 24 Carrots recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment